THE SECRET HOW TO GET RID OF BAD BREATH
CAUSES OF BAD BREATH
PREVENTION OF BAD BREATH
TREATMENT OF BAD BREATH
CAUSES OF BAD BREATH
First of all you should know the causes of bad breath. Bad breath also called halitosis which is often embarrassing and lowers the confidence to speak with someone, Halitosis is the third most common reason that people seek dental care after tooth decay and gum disease. About 1 in 4 people are thought to have bad breath on a regular basis.
Following are the causes of bad breath:
Poor oral hygiene-the most common cause of bad breath is poor oral hygiene if you don’t brush your teeth and floss daily any food debris become trapped in the space between the teeth and gums, bacteria starts growing which lead to foul smell from mouth.
Foods we eat- whatever we eat food gets lodged in between the teeth , as the food particles break down and release bacteria which then release sulfur gas gives unpleasant odor, eating certain foods such as onions , garlic can cause bad breath . Crash dieting , Fasting and low carbohydrate diets are another possible cause of bad breath, they cause break down of fat which produces chemicals called ketones that can be smelled on your breath.
Tongue not cleaned- bacteria can live on rough surface of your tongue , cleaning your tongue can also help control bad breath.
Morning breath- bad breath in the morning is very common, saliva production nearly stops during sleep, allowing bacteria to grow causing bad breath.
Tobacco products-Smoking and chewing tobacco dries out your mouth and causes bad breath. So, anytime you smoke or chew tobacco products , you are more likely to have bad breath and irritated gums. Using tobacco increases your risk of gum disease and oral cancer too.
Tooth decay- tooth decay leads to accumulation of dental plaque in the cavity , the tooth decay may spread to the pulp leading to accumulation of food and then bacteria starts growing which emit foul smell.
Dry mouth-dry mouth is also called xerostomia which can cause bad breath , saliva is necessary to moisten the mouth and also neutralize acids produced by plaque and wash away dead cells that accumulate on the tongue , gums and cheeks. If not removed these cells decompose and can cause bad breath.
Denture wearer- after eating bits of food may become lodged underneath your dentures which if failed to clean it properly can lead to bad breath due to build –up of bacteria.
Braces wearer – bad breath in braces wearer is caused by food getting stuck in braces as teeth can’t be cleaned properly where bacteria can grow with ease and often lead to halitosis.
Oral Infections - any pus formation associated with the tooth decay in the mouth can cause bad breath , mouth sores ,swelling around wisdom tooth ,gum infection can also lead to bad breath.
Tooth extractions- in very few cases after the extraction of tooth the wound doesn’t get healed leading to pain and bad breath.
Medications- Many medicines lead to dry mouth which can cause bad breath like medicines used to treat allergies can cause dry mouth , post nasal drip is a common allergy symptom that can result in bad breath . Sinus congestion due to allergies can cause people to breathe from their mouth , causing dry mouth.
Medical conditions-disease such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) , metabolic disorders , kidney and lungs problem can lead to bad breath as a result of chemicals they produce.
PREVENTION OF BAD BREATH
1) Brush your teeth twice daily for at least 2 min with soft bristle brush and replace your brush after every 2 or 3 months.
2) Floss atleast once daily to clean foods debris lodged in between the teeth and to prevent build-up of plaque at the gum line.
3) Tongue should be scraped/brushed daily.
4) Antibacterial Mouthwash can help kill bacteria that cause bad breath and plaque that can lead to gingivitis, an early mild form of gum disease. Adding a fluoride rinse to your daily routine can help prevent tooth decay.
5) Chew sugarfree chewing gums after your meal as it stimulates the production of saliva which will keep your mouth moist.
6) Quit smoking and taking any tobacco based products .If you are finding it difficult to quit , then ask your dentist for tips on kicking the habit.
7) Do not drink much coffee and tea as caffeine dry out your mouth leading to bad breath.
8) Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth hydrated.
9) Eat healthy food and avoid foods such as garlic and onions that can cause bad breath. Eating lot of sugary foods also lead to bad breath.
10) Patient wearing dentures or any dental appliances should be removed at night and cleaned thoroughly before being placed in your mouth the next morning.
Treatment of bad breath.
Visit your dentist to know the actual cause of your bad breath.
Getting dental checkups twice a year is also important as sometimes bad breath is an indicator of problems like tooth decay, dental abscess or any gum disease.
Maintaining good oral hygiene is essential to reducing bad breath, so be sure that you are concern about your dental hygiene.
Follow to above tips (prevention of bad breath) .
If you are taking any medicines which cause mouth to get dry leading to bad breath then keep yourself hydrated.
Bad breath could also signal a medical disorder like GERD, respiratory disease, throat problems, kidney disease can cause breath odor . If your dentist determines that your mouth is healthy you may be refered to a physician to determine the cause of bad breath.